Tuesday, May 19, 2009

As I was sat down one evening I was thinking about gospel music and how it's changed over the years. Have you heard about the duo 'mary mary'? Have you listened to their music?
Years back, gospel music was soulful, I can't think of the right word to descibe how it was but when you listened to it, it moved your spirit. The majority of the new material I hear on the market today do nothing for your spirit but definately moves your feet.

Let me go back to 'mary mary', I think they're a good example to use. The 1st song that came out was 'shackles' back in 2000. The 1st line of the chorus says "take the shackles of my feet so I can dance" now I don't see anything wrong with dancing for the Lord as king David did in the bible, but this song really makes you want to dance, and ot for God! Forget about the words of that song, the up-beat tempo itself makes you want to jiggle. Doesn't it?!!
When this song came out, I wasn't attending church at the time and I use to go clubbing and it was these very songs that you would hear playing. Now tell me, how can you play gospel music in a dance? It can't work!
Then again, there are some artists whose material sound like gospel though they don't look like Christians.
Anyway,I would love to hear what you think! Do you agree or dis-agree. It would be good to hear from some of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment